WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, ordorless, tasteless toxic gas. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels such as natural gas, propane, coal and wood.
Dangerous amounts of CO can accumulate as a result of poor installation, lack of maintainence, or failure/damage to an installed appliance that is currently in use. Inadequate make-up air can also be a contributing factor.
It has been estimated that over 40,000 people per year seek medical attention for CO poisoning in the United States. Appoximately 200 people die each year from CO poisoning in the United States. Unfortunately CO poisoning is cumulative. This means that when you seek medical attention the CO levels in your body can be reduced to acceptable levels but any damage that has been caused is irreversible.
Low level exposure (less than 35 ppm) of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu-like sysptoms, food poisoning or other illnesses and can have significant long-term health risks if left untreated; children and the elderly can be affected by CO levels as low as 10-15 ppm. At 5-6 ppm a significant risk of low birth weight for infants can be caused by exposure in the last trimester.
High level exposure (more thn 35 ppm; less than 70 ppm) of CO poisoning can cause severe headaches, drowiness, confusion and fast heart rate.
Crisis level exposure (more than 70 ppm) can lead to unconsciousness, convulsions, cardio respirartory failure and even death.
As a Certified Combustion Analyst through the National Comfort Institute (NCI), HOMTEC can offer you the peace of mind with a quality Combustion Analysis of your fossil fuel burning appliances such as the furnace, water heater, fireplace and kitchen stove.
The testing we provide includes inserting a probe into the flue of the appliance to test the quantity of the CO to determine if the unit is emitting dangerous levels of this unwanted gas. Draft measurements also are performed on natural draft appliances. Ambient air testing is also important to determine.
At HOMTEC we feel that the safety of your family is of utmost importance. Isn't that why your having a home inspection? This service if provided free of charge.
Your store bought CO detector is manufactured to UL approved standards. These CO detectors will only alarm you after they have detected 30 ppm for 30 days or 75 ppm after 2-3 hours. As an NCI Certified Combustion Analyst HOMTEC can offer a low level CO detector that wll alarm at levels as low as 15-20 ppm. To learn more about Carbon Monoxide and the low level NSI 3000 Carbon Monoxide Detector click on the pcture below.